[Gllug] Couple of questions about HTTPS

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Fri Nov 19 13:35:31 UTC 2004

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004, Russell Howe wrote:

> One other thing - IP addresses are free, so long as you can justify it
> to the people who hand them out (Can't remember who - RIPE?).

This is not true. IP addresses are not free. There are a number of direct
costs associated with obtaining and managing IP address space.

These range from RIPE LIR membership fees, staff costs, managing
allocation data, through to network costs including routers, etc.

This is not cheap.

> Running
> SSL-enabled webservers usually counts as just cause, from what I've
> heard.

HTTPS, FTP or any other protocol that demands unique IPs to work properly
on standard ports are justification to get additional IPs

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/	   ADSL Broadband from just £21.50 / month

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk