[Gllug] Open source financial database

Nordlund, Niko Niko.Nordlund at storaenso.com
Wed Nov 24 10:55:14 UTC 2004

Hi,

I have a wild idea, and want to share it with you. The idea might be of
interest to all financial experts out there.

I have read about the Quantlib with enthusiasm. A brilliant concept: quants
from banks and corporates come together to code a free code for valuing
financial instruments. This means that one can value financial instruments
easily, without having to re-invent the wheel.

Now, what if we did the same on treasury system side? The treasury system
providers make good money by keeping the source code to them selves. How
about coming up with open source treasury system? Use, say PostgreSQL, as a
base to build a solid treasury database. The idea is that you could download
the database (and GUI?) for free and tailor-make the system to your needs
easily and possibly even share your ideas in a true fashion of the open
source. This would be really great news for corporates and financial
institutes!

Anyone interested?

Best regards,
Niko Nordlund