[Gllug] AMD64

john.hearns at clustervision.com john.hearns at clustervision.com
Tue Nov 23 08:30:30 UTC 2004

Quoting George Wright <gwright at kde.org>:

> I'm going to be upgrading my desktop at Christmas to an Athlon 64 3500+ with
>
> an Asus A8V motherboard hopefully. I have a couple of questions though as
> this will be my first entry into high performance desktop stuff:
>
> Any caveats regarding Linux support on AMD64? I presume I'll just be able to
>
> use Linux in 32-bit mode as it's got all the native x86 instructions as well
>
> as the x86-64 stuff.
None at all.

I installed what I think is the first Opteron cluster in the UK.
Over a year ago, and still going strong.

We ran many nodes on that cluster with the 32 bit SuSE version,
as the 64 bit version was shaking down.
All running 64 bit version now.
Opterons are stable, and run well.
Just remember they generate heat!

As for distros, go for SuSE or Redhat.
I'm not familiar with Debian on x86-64. Anyone?
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk