[Gllug] AMD64

George Wright gwright at kde.org
Tue Nov 23 00:19:45 UTC 2004

I'm going to be upgrading my desktop at Christmas to an Athlon 64 3500+ with
an Asus A8V motherboard hopefully. I have a couple of questions though as
this will be my first entry into high performance desktop stuff:

Any caveats regarding Linux support on AMD64? I presume I'll just be able to
use Linux in 32-bit mode as it's got all the native x86 instructions as well
as the x86-64 stuff. Is the Via chipset well supported on Linux? I don't
intend to use the hardware RAID or SATA stuff (yet), so that's a non-issue at
the moment.

Also, regarding dual channel memory, is it possible just to buy two memory
modules that are the same make and model and use them in a dual channel
setup, or do I need to actually get a specific dual channel kit? I'd like to
grab just a couple of eBuyer 512MB PC3200 dimms as they're just under 50 GBP
each, and hopefully use them in dual channel mode.

Thanks in advance.

--
George Wright, http://www.gwright.org.uk
KDE Developer - http://www.kde.org