[Gllug] Gentoo on Sparcstation 20

Christian Smith csmith at micromuse.com
Tue Nov 23 16:05:41 UTC 2004

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004, Dan Kolb wrote:

>On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 10:03:17AM +0000, Steve Nelson wrote:
>>
>> Of the rest, Debian worked ok, especially with the BBC, but my
>> experiments have led me to discover that for 32 bit sparc NetBSD is
>> absolutely the way to go, and is also satisfactory for SMP. which may
>> interest you as an SS20 owner
>
>However, you need to be running a NetBSD-2.0 system to support SMP on these
>SPARC systems. There isn't an official release of this; however,
>ftp://releng.netbsd.org should have prebuilt binary sets which can be
>installed.

If you're feeling adventurous, you can even build your own release from
CVS on your x86 Linux. The NetBSD build system is superb, handling
everything including building of the cross compiler and tools, to creating
the ISO image. While I've never built a distribution, I have cross-built a
kernel for an SGI Indigo.

I'd be happy taking a Pepsi challenge with Linux on any non-sun4u SPARC,
though I've found that Linux can get more out of the SCSI system than
NetBSD can. Still, NetBSD supports the SBUS-PCMCIA bridge card, in which I
have a WLAN card. Wireless SPARCstation IPX, superb.

>Dan

NetBSD convert,
Christian

--