[Gllug] Resolving question

Jan Minar jjminar at FastMail.FM
Tue Nov 30 15:47:21 UTC 2004

On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 03:15:22PM +0000, Jack Bertram wrote:
> Do _all_ (normal) programs use the resolving order defined in
> resolv.conf?  I anticipate some DNS difficulties over the next few days
> and want to know whether I can add /etc/hosts entries to overcome these
> for one particular server.

Shor answer: yes.

It's host.conf, not resolv.conf

As doing DNS queries more than often requires elevated privileges, I
wouldn't expect userland programs to implement it themselves, even if we
didn't consider the sheer stupidity of doing that in the first place.
That said, tcpdump is Your friend if you are in doubt.

Quoting the resolv.conf(5) manpage:

| The resolver is a set of routines in the C library that provide access
| to the Internet Domain Name System. The resolver configuration file
| contains information that is read by the resolver routines the first
| time they are invoked by a process.

-- so You maybe will have to restart Your programs, but the modern
resolver implementations may check for a modification of the config
files...?  Again, tcpdump is Your friend.

HTH,
--
 )^o-o^|      e-mail : jjminar FastMail FM
 | .v  K      jabber : rdancer at NJS.NetLab.Cz
 `  - .'      phone  : +44(0)7981 738 696
  \ __/Jan    icq    : 345 355 493
 __|o|__Minář irc    : rdancer at IRC.FreeNode.Net