[Gllug] help with ubuntu

NorthLondon John northlondonjohn at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Nov 6 14:37:25 UTC 2004

On 6 Nov 2004, at 13:44, Wiehe, Simon wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have bitten the bullet and installed ubuntu on my machine. The basic
> config worked, now I just need to get the server bits working. I have
> started up iptables and that works fine and I have configured my
> second NIC. Now for dhcp and the screen.
>
> Despite selecting it on the install screen I cannot get 1280x1024 or
> 1024x768 screen resolution. Anyone got any ideas why ?

What sort of machine / graphics card have you got?

I had this problem with debian - the solution (courtesy of this list)
was :
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
I presume it's the same with ubuntu (don't have my ubuntu box in front
of me)

Otherwise, try searching/asking on the  ubuntu users mailing list -
there's developers there.
ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
If you can't deal with the traffic (it's heavy), try the gmane
interface:
http://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.user

John

www.ubuntulinux.org