[Gllug] LDAP and automounter

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Mon Nov 15 17:13:45 UTC 2004

I am familiar with the configuration to set up an automounter to request
information against the LDAP server.

I am configuring an automounter for an International firm that do not
want all of the automounts visible in every location.  I could do it
with difference suffixes at each location, eg.
ou=paris,dc=example,dc=co,dc=uk; however as the staff move about
occasionally the staff need to be able to mount the correct drives when
they log in.

They currently use an Active Directory Tree, where they specify the
mounts per person.  I see this as quite wasteful as there is a lot of
work to set it up and to manage this.  It does have the advantage that
you can specify the mounts per person.

It almost seems like they want to store a list of mounts in the user's
LDAP object and just have those mounted at login time.

Has any one encountered anything similar or is there a different way to
approach this?

Kind regards
Xander
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk