[Gllug] Gentoo on Sparcstation 20

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Fri Nov 19 21:15:10 UTC 2004

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004, Adrian McMenamin moaned:
> On Friday 19 Nov 2004 18:38, John Edwards wrote:
>> I've not used Gentoo but did have a look at it a few months back
>> and at the time it's bootable CDs only had support for 64 bit CPUs:
>>     http://gentoo.osuosl.org/releases/sparc/2004.3/livecd/
>>     http://gentoo.osuosl.org/releases/sparc/2004.2/livecd/README.html
>>

> the 2004.1 releases supports the 32 bit boxes

However, the non-Ultra SPARC kernel is de facto unmaintained: the major
maintainers of the SPARCLinux kernels (David Miller, Jakub Jelinek and
Ben Collins spring to mind) are not paying attention to SPARC32 kernelspace
anymore.

Maybe someone in the Gentoo community is maintaining it, but if so he's
not feeding patches back (tsk, tsk).

>> A serial cable with null modem should only cost a couple of quid and is
>> probably the best next step.
>
> A couple of quid!? I cannot see one on sale for less than £15 - three times
> more than I paid for the box!

The TCR fair has everything cheap. I got my null-modem cable and adaptor
to turn it into an RJ45 jack to plug into the port at the back of my
Netra for about four quid there, and most of that was the RJ45/serial
adaptor.

--
`The sword we forged has turned upon us
 Only now, at the end of all things do we see
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk