[Gllug] "Wrong software" installed on to desktop PC's causes crash

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Sat Nov 27 10:56:47 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-11-27 at 10:10 +0000, Jason Clifford wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Nov 2004, Tethys wrote:
>
> > Indeed. But surely even were that the case, you'd just restore the previous
> > image to those machines and an hour later, everything would be back to
> > normal. Obviously that didn't happen, as an hour later, things are still
> > screwed. I'm not entirely sure why, though.
>
> I don't know about Windows but on most platforms if you fubar the whole OS
> installation automated management tools aren't going to be of much help.

Jason, that's not really true.

Do a PXE boot, and do a complete re-install from the installation
server.

I've frequently re-installed slave nodes on a Linux cluster.
For instance, change the system hard drive. Bring the system up, it
installs.

Even nicer if you have remote power switches, or ILMI management cards
in a machine room.

In the Unix/Linux world there are projects like LCFG where you store the
profile of a system on a server  http://www.lcfg.org
Or the Quattor stuff from CERN  http://www.quattor.org

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk