[Gllug] subnetting

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Mon Nov 8 20:56:11 UTC 2004

Doug Winter wrote:
> Michael Jenson wrote:
>
>> Your description is good. However I was told by my profesor at Uni the
>> first
>> range 200.100.99.1 - 200.100.99.31/27 is not used?! :/? What is the
>> reason for
>> that. IS this as with network address, here being network address
>> range of the
>> subnets?!?  the one that describes,? gives subnets the base?
>

> There's no requirement in IP to not use the first subnet.  He might have
> some other reasons, but it's not that.

Possibly for infrastucture? The routers which hold this together will
need addresses on their WAN sides, although there is no reason for these
to be in any way related to the LAN addresses being used, and they can
be private. Or just to get 7 subnets of the same size - it is not
possible to divide a /24 into 7 equally sized components. It is possible
to do e.g. 6 /27s and 1 /26 and a number of other combinations. But
these are just wild guesses.

I suggest that the OP ask his professor why the first subnet cannot be
used. And possibly learn to spell "professor":)

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk