[Gllug] VGA to scart/s-video

john.hearns at clustervision.com john.hearns at clustervision.com
Mon Nov 8 10:26:12 UTC 2004

Quoting Ian Norton <bredroll at darkspace.org.uk>:

> I picked one up for about 50 quid on ebay
>
> its called a 'tv view silver',
>
> i forget the make, but it manages 640x480 and 800x600, it outputs scart,
> comosite or svideo

Nowt wrong with that at all (I'm not slapping you down).

But I'll repeat my earlier advice - go for a more expensive model if you
can. Remember, these things have to downsample from the video card
resolution to 640x480
(that's why 640x480 was the earliest video resolution - if I'm not
wrong, same as NTSC televisions. Chris Bell please comment!)

Actually, as I recall at the time, it was better to have your Powerpoint
looking OK on an 800x600 screen then feed to the convertor.
High resolutions look fine on a video projector - but thin fonts don't
do well on these. You can get smearing.

If this is on a company budget it might be worth having an A/V company come
round with a demo unit.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk