[Gllug] multi-personality GUI mail program ?

John Southern john at sinoda.demon.co.uk
Mon Nov 1 23:56:12 UTC 2004

On Monday 01 November 2004 20:43, Sharon Kimble wrote:
> Sylpheed and its development partner program Sylpheed-claws both store
> their emails in separate little files, one for each email, which very soon
> eat up oodles of space. I used sylpheed-claws and its mail folder took 6
> gigabytes whereas using KMail, the same mail folder takes 342mbs.

KMail can use either maildir or mbox. Slypheed can import/export mbox.
I switched over to maildir because HD space is cheap and it seems to open my
folders quicker. I am currently running at about 12GB of mail.
The disadvantage I found was copying across a LAN was a pain because of the
number of files and I resorted to zipping each folder first.

Which of the formats would perform better as my mail store increases?

John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk