[Gllug] NTFS resize

Dennis Furey fureyd at lsbu.ac.uk
Tue Nov 23 18:13:57 UTC 2004

not an expert, but I had some success using a defragment utility
called perfectdisk. It's a commercial program but you can try it out
for free. It leaves a big hole in the ntfs partition with some little
file in the middle of it, but at least puts half of the unused space
at the end.  Then if you use ntfsresize to free up the unused space,
you can boot windows again and defragment it some more, followed by
another round of ntfsresize, which will get the ntfs partition down to
quarter of the original size size, and so on.

When you get linux installed you can mount the dell partition and see
for yourself what's in it. It's seems to me more like diagnostic and
recovery utilities that don't normally get used, but who knows?
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk