[Gllug] USB A4 flatbed scanners

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Wed Nov 10 10:32:57 UTC 2004

On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 10:48:48PM +0000, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
> This one time, at band camp, N.Pauli wrote:
> > Could anyone recommend a usb A4 flatbed scanner <?100 from their recent
> > purchasing experience. I'm running Mandrake 10.0. I've tried the Mandrake
> > hardware site but all their scanners are out of date. Like printers, I think
> > many of the manufacturers turn over their models so rapidly that it is hard
> > for an archive to keep up to date.
>
> Buy one on eBay that is well supported.  No, really.

If you're serious about scanning, i can certainly recommend getting
hold of VueScan instead of XSane. It supports far far more scanners,
has a pretty good UI, its processing is so good it produces better
scanning results than most of the software providde by the manufacturer.

  http://www.hamrick.com/vsm.html
  http://www.scantips.com/vuescan.html

It may not be open source, but its one of the best programs I've
paid money for & worth every $ (particularly with the plummeting
exchange rate against the pound :-)

Dan.