[Gllug] AMD64

Nick Warrington nick.warrington at automationpartnership.com
Tue Nov 23 16:44:44 UTC 2004

George

I have had a reasonably good experience installing Gentoo on a AMD64 on Via
chipset.  I have not had any problems with any of the onboard devices yet,
although I havn't tried to set up ALSA to get my sound running.

Getting the kernel to mount the SATA drive at boot time was the hardest bit,
but only because I'm dim. ( Default kernel config had the wrong modules
configured)

With everything being compiled from source for my 64 bit environment I've
hit my first stumbling block with my 64 bit compiled FireFox and plugins not
being available as 64 bit tested source packages. I guess that might have to
be a rebuild as a 32bit package if I want to use plugins.

So, on the whole, v-pleased. Hope this boosts your confidence.

Nick

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk