[Gllug] IP address detection

Tethys tet at createservices.com
Tue Nov 16 01:15:21 UTC 2004

Adrian McMenamin writes:

>Box is here, powers up, hub says the ethernet connection is there - but
>I have no monitor - so how do I detect what the IP address is so I can
>ssh or telnet my way into it?

Splutter! This isn't a toy PC we're talking about here -- you have a real
machine. Since you want to use it as a web server, you don't need a monitor.
Plug a serial lead in and run it headless. If it has a keyboard, press
"Stop-N" (if it's an old keyboard, the Stop key may be labelled "L1"),
shortly after poweron and hold it for a few seconds. Then unplug the
keyboard and power cycle the machine. That should ensure that it's sending
the console to the serial port. It probably was already, but that will just
make certain. 9600 8N1.

>Also --- how do I install software on it? The strange then appears to have
>neither an fd0 or a cdrom - though I could probably attach one via a scsi
>port.

Ermmm.... over the network? To install an OS, set up a TFTP server on
another machine, and serve up your network install image as the filename
"AABBCCDD.SUN4M", where "AABBCCDD" is the machine's IP address in hex.
Then type "boot net" at the PROM prompt. I assume you weren't just
talking about installing normal userland applications, which I'd hope
you could work out how to do for yourself...

But failing that, yes, you can attach an external SCSI CD. You may need
to change the block size jumper setting on the drive to set it to 512 bytes.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk