[Gllug] AMD64

neil c neil at cozyspace.net
Tue Nov 23 12:37:20 UTC 2004

> From: George Wright <gwright at kde.org>
> Date: 23 November 2004 00:19:45 GMT
> To: Greater London Linux Users Group <gllug at gllug.org.uk>
> Subject: [Gllug] AMD64
>

> I'm going to be upgrading my desktop at Christmas to an Athlon 64
> 3500+ with
> an Asus A8V motherboard hopefully. I have a couple of questions though
> as
> this will be my first entry into high performance desktop stuff:
>
> Any caveats regarding Linux support on AMD64? I presume I'll just be
> able to
> use Linux in 32-bit mode as it's got all the native x86 instructions
> as well
> as the x86-64 stuff. Is the Via chipset well supported on Linux? I
> don't
> intend to use the hardware RAID or SATA stuff (yet), so that's a
> non-issue at
> the moment.

I'm currently using Fedora C2 and have a via chipset using the AMD64
3200+. This distro installs all the necessary 32bit libraries (so I'm
sure FC3 will too). It runs very nicely. I've also been playing with
the 64bit Gentoo distro but got into some bother installing
developmental software so am still running FC2. I would recommend
looking into the Gentoo route, if you have a week spare ;-)

neil