[Gllug] Newbie needs help!

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Wed Oct 20 14:59:47 UTC 2004

On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 03:31:04PM +0100, Andrew Halliwell wrote:
> And verily, didst John Hearns announce to the hordes:
> > However, you might consult the 4MB Laptop Howto - written by our very
> > own Bruce Richardson. There - he's beeling now.
> >
> > I doubt you'll get any useable X performance on 12M though.
>
> Dunno why not, I started out on an 8meg 486 back in 99 with suse 5.2.
> X, the base os, netscape, various other things, all sat quite nicely on a
> 300 meg hard disk back then.

I can see a "my computer is smaller than your computer" contest
breaking out ...

> Perhaps rather than try the latest and greatest, a "fallback" to earlier
> versions of linux will reduce the size enough to make 12meg bearable.

I used to run Slackware 1, with X11 and xemacs, on a 386 with 5 MB of
RAM.  Of course that was back in '93, and it was pretty slow.  So much
so that I went out and spent 600 quid [sic] on 16 MB of memory for it,
which made all the difference.

The problem with going back to these ancient versions of Slackware is
that they're likely to be buggy/insecure as hell.  I definitely
wouldn't try connecting such a machine to the internet.

Rich.

MOD_CAML lets you run type-safe Objective CAML programs inside the Apache
webserver. http://www.merjis.com/developers/mod_caml/