[Gllug] Java ...

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Wed Oct 27 16:50:18 UTC 2004

On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 05:37:12PM +0100, Richard Jones wrote:
> I tried installing kaffe, which appears to be free, but it throws some
> sort of stupid CLASSPATH error:
>
> $ java -cp `pwd`/TGWikiBrowser.jar:`pwd`/BrowserLauncher.jar \
>   com.touchgraph.wikibrowser.TGWikiBrowser meatball.txt \
>   http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/mb.pl? hypermedium 2 false
> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: /usr/local/src/TGWikiBrowser-1/02/TGWikiBrowser/jar:/usr/local/src/TGWikiBrowser-1/02/BrowserLauncher/jar
>         at java.lang.Throwable.<init>(Throwable.java:38)
>         at java.lang.Error.<init>(Error.java:21)
>         at java.lang.LinkageError.<init>(LinkageError.java:21)
>         at java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError.<init>(NoClassDefFoundError.java:21)

The NoClassDefFoundError are some of the hardest to diagnose in my experiance.
It means the JVM has found the Class in your CLASPATH at some point, but when
it comes to actually load the bytecode something bad happened. There's no one
way to resolve this I'm afraid. It could well even be a bug in Kaffe, since
this stuff is notoriously difficult to get right. Some things that have caused
this for me before:

 * Class path ordering
 * Multiple entries in classpath all providing same class
 * Multiple classloaders & a child classload is trying to redefine
   a class from a parent one.
 * Corrupt JAR/class file.

I must admit i didn;t even realize Kaffe was still actively used. If
you're lucky uyou might be able to use GCJ depending on what APIs
the app needs

Dan.