[Gllug] Java ...

Ian Scott mriscott at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Oct 28 07:20:57 UTC 2004

> I tried installing kaffe, which appears to be free, but it throws some
> sort of stupid CLASSPATH error:
>
> $ java -cp `pwd`/TGWikiBrowser.jar:`pwd`/BrowserLauncher.jar \
>   com.touchgraph.wikibrowser.TGWikiBrowser meatball.txt \
>   http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/mb.pl? hypermedium 2 false
> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: /usr/local/src/TGWikiBrowser-1/02/TGWikiBrowser/jar:/usr/local/src/TGWikiBrowser-1/02/BrowserLauncher/jar
>         at java.lang.Throwable.<init>(Throwable.java:38)
>         at java.lang.Error.<init>(Error.java:21)
>         at java.lang.LinkageError.<init>(LinkageError.java:21)
>         at java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError.<init>(NoClassDefFoundError.java:21)
>
> Does anyone have any idea what's happening?  The TGWikiBrowser.jar
> file exists (but not, obviously, TGWikiBrowser/jar).

As I read that error message, it is looking for a class called /usr/local/src/TGwikiBrowser..../jar.

I suspect this means that it has seen the command line, not understood -cp, and
seen the first element of your classpath as a java class to run.

CLASSPATH issues are often a bit wierd, and -cp is particularly nasty,
supported by some jvms and not others.  I often find it works better if you
set the CLASSPATH environment variable:

i.e.
$ export CLASSPATH=`pwd`/TGWikiBrowser.jar:`pwd`/BrowserLauncher.jar;
$ java com.touchgraph.wikibrowser.TGWikiBrowser meatball.txt \
   http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/mb.pl? hypermedium 2 false

Does that work any better for you?

By the way, I assume kaffe supports the right version of the JVM?

> Why is so bloody hard to get these things working ...?

Write once, test everywhere.

> Rich.

Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk