[Gllug] [OT]Reforming wayward web designers

Tethys tet at createservices.com
Thu Oct 7 15:26:28 UTC 2004

Garry Heaton writes:

>> At a guess, because sometimes stupid kludges are needed to work around
>> problems until the world learns to stop using buggy browsers.
>
>Like, in 2020?

No. If IE hasn't fixed its CSS support *long* before then, it will
have become irrelevant. This trend has already begun (both improved
CSS support in IE6, and people turning to less buggy browsers). I'm
prepared to support workarounds for IE for now (for some things)[1],
but I doubt I'll be doing the same in 2006.

>It's the near-term that bothers me. CSS1 and CSS-P have been around since
>the mid-90s

Really? I only see CSS1 and CSS2 on the W3C website. What's this CSS-P of
which you speak?

>I've even heard some CSS commentators advising leaving space to
>the right of text links on vertical columns - just to be sure the
>whole thing doesn't break when the user increases the text size.
>This kind of thing isn't a solution to anything and I don't see the
>problem being resolved anytime soon because it isn't strictly an
>implemenation problem. CSS-P is just a poor layout model.

I agree that CSS is not without its problems wrt positioning. But to call
it a poor layout model is just nonsense. It's worth noting that many of
the problems are fixed in CSS3.

Tet

[1] I've just found out that one of my sites has a page that works fine in
    all the rendering engines I've tested (Gecko, Opera, KHTML, lynx, links),
    but IE gets it wrong, making the page around 4000px wide, and requiring
    the user to scroll horizontally to read anything. I'm looking at possible
    workarounds now. The page validates, and does indeed degrade nicely, so
    that all the content is visible. But it's in a less than optimal layout,
    and if I can make it better, then it's worth doing so. If I can't, then
    they'll just have to live with it :-)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk