[Gllug] SuSe 9.1 post-installation

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Sat Oct 16 18:47:09 UTC 2004

On Friday 15 Oct 2004 22:53 pm, Andrew Scott wrote:
> Hello glluggers,

> 1. I had the fanciful idea of moving fairly swiftly to upgrading to
> Evolution 2.0, KDE 3,3 etc however from reading the KDE ftp mirror
> readmes it became clear that while SuSe RPMs are available, SuSe are
> not supporting them at this time and updates will not be available.
> Further there is a disclaimer on them working at all.

When it comes to it, this is KDE and SuSE covering their respective
legal behinds. Can't comment on evolution, but the KDE3.3 from
ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/supplementary/KDE (or mirror) is quite fine
to use.

> As this machine
> is our shared family resource, I have come to the conclusion that it
> may be better to wait for v9.2. Does anyone know if a 'net' upgrade
> would be available?

What do you mean? To 9.2? Yes, SuSE post an ftp version about a month
after the boxes ship - it's broadly the same as the pro edition except
certain packages are missing for licence reasons (e.g. Java) but they
are easily sourced on the net elsewhere.

> 2. SuSe 9.1 came with FireFox 0.8 which is now quite old.

If you have done the YOU updates you should have 0.9.3.

> The main
> binary was in a sensible location, /usr/bin, but I needed to upgrade.

Why?

Dylan

--
"I see your Schwartz is as big as mine"