[Gllug] Re: SuSe 9.1 post-installation

neil c neil at cozyspace.net
Sat Oct 16 14:35:58 UTC 2004

From:
Andrew Scott <andrew at aammscott.demon.co.uk>

>Hello glluggers,
><snip>
>
>5. My /usr partition, at 5 GB, was already cramped under Mdk 9.1. Now,
>at 94% full, it's getting tight in there! I've taken on board
>suggestions for using something like parted, but have no experience in
>this area. What I would like to know is if it is SAFE to use parted or a
>derivative to resize partitions on a live system without risk of loss of
>data.

I've not managed to get parted working on an ext3 partition :-( If you
do have some extra disk space laying about I would consider simply
formatting it as required and moving /usr/lib, /usr/share (or any other
directory that might already be big and likely to grow) onto it and
remounting..etc.

>Cheers, and thanks for any replies!

I don't know anything else Suse specific - good luck :-)

>Andrew

neil
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk