[Gllug] Java ...

Russell Howe rhowe at wiss.co.uk
Wed Oct 27 22:42:10 UTC 2004

On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 05:37:12PM +0100, Richard Jones wrote:

> I've been struggling to avoid using Java for the last few years, but
> I've come across a Java program which I absolutely have to run.
>
> The Sun "JVM" is huge, non-free and requires some weird
> Debian-incompatible installer, all reasons to avoid it.

Huge, well it's not small - from a 1.4.2 J2SDK I have installed on my
desktop, it comes out at 96 megabytes all in, although if you remove the
unnecessary stuff like src.zip and the demo/ directory, you can get that
down to around 70M. If you just want to run programs and not compile
java classes, then you don't need the J2SDK and can get away with the
smaller JRE

> $ java -cp `pwd`/TGWikiBrowser.jar:`pwd`/BrowserLauncher.jar \
>   com.touchgraph.wikibrowser.TGWikiBrowser meatball.txt \
>   http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/mb.pl? hypermedium 2 false
> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: /usr/local/src/TGWikiBrowser-1/02/TGWikiBrowser/jar:/usr/local/src/TGWikiBrowser-1/02/BrowserLauncher/jar
>         at java.lang.Throwable.<init>(Throwable.java:38)
>         at java.lang.Error.<init>(Error.java:21)
>         at java.lang.LinkageError.<init>(LinkageError.java:21)
>         at java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError.<init>(NoClassDefFoundError.java:21)
>
> Does anyone have any idea what's happening?  The TGWikiBrowser.jar
> file exists (but not, obviously, TGWikiBrowser/jar).
>
> Why is so bloody hard to get these things working ...?

To me, that just looks like Kaffe has ignored the -cp option - try
this instead (assuming a Bourne-style shell):

$ export CLASSPATH="`pwd`/TGWikiBrowser.jar:`pwd`/BrowserLauncher.jar"
$ java com.touchgraph.wikibrowser.TGWikiBrowser meatball.txt http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/mb.pl? hypermedium 2 false

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk