[Gllug] Java ...

Russell Howe rhowe at wiss.co.uk
Wed Oct 27 22:34:12 UTC 2004

On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 10:51:53PM +0100, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> You'll want the "java-package" package which takes the downloadable
> installball of many common JREs and JDKs and produces Debian packages
> which can then be installed along with the relevant helper package.
>
> I've recently done this with Sun's offering, it worked seamlessly.

I had to hack the files in /usr/share/java-package to make it actually
recognise the more recent jdk1.5 release.

Also, it works out the Java version by looking at the file name (and
then checking that the size is large enough) - which strikes me as a bit
silly.

It doesn't need to know the Java version until packaging time comes, so
why not unpack it, run "java -version" and go from there?!

Also, make-jpkg (the tool that comes with java-package) only seemed to
build a .deb. that'd install on unstable (and possibly testing). If you
want Java in stable, then either install to /usr/local (or /opt, if
you're an /opt person) or possibly hack java-package to change the
dependencies of the packages it creates.

That said, there may well be a java-package in stable which builds a
.deb suitable for stable...

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk