[Gllug] Re: Problems keeping internet connection.

John Hearns john.hearns at clustervision.com
Mon Oct 25 07:05:18 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-10-23 at 17:16, Chris Bell wrote:
> On Sat 23 Oct, Sharon Kimble wrote:

I agree with Chris' earlier comments about signal quality.
My ADSL is on the edgeof an acceptable signal level.

The way I got it to work was to us a normal splitter for the phone
at the BT master socket.
the ADSL router is plugged into a phone extension directly - no
splitter. (Obviously you can;t use a phone on that socket).
I also found the quality of my internal phone extensions was bad, so
I re-terminated the phone extension. Just take the faceplate off and
use a punch-down tool to redo the wiring.
I agree though that best signal quality will be obtained by using the
replacement faceplate, and situation the modem at the BT master socket.

For a trial, you can take the BT master socket faceplate off.
Put a splitter direct onto the socket you then uncover.
Do you get a better line quality?

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk