[Gllug] AMD64 machines

Nick Richards nick.richards at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 09:57:58 UTC 2004

> I bought one box from DNUK and noticed that chipsets like "realtek" and
> "sis" were present - it promptly got sent back.
>
> That said the build quality was excellent, I'm sure that, sans the above
> chipsets, they would make good servers.

Agreed on the lowend chipsets but, well I wanted it as a cheap desktop
rather than any sort of server task (yes the 64 bits going to 'waste'
and all) but the AMD64 is much quieter than a P4 for a fairly meaty
desktop.

The other thing that swayed it for me was the preinstalled Linux which
was at least some sort of guarantee that somebody had thought as to
whether any of the parts inside actually worked with the OS. Plus no
extra £100 cost for an unused copy of XP.

Good caveats but for a test/play box which is what the poster inquired
about I'd certainly look at their Athlon64 systems. For a server I'd
take a look at their Opterons which as a breed don't tend to have
realtek chipsets. ;-)

Nick
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk