[Gllug] AMD64 machines

John Hearns john.hearns at clustervision.com
Tue Oct 26 10:21:57 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-26 at 10:57, Nick Richards wrote:

> Agreed on the lowend chipsets but, well I wanted it as a cheap desktop
> rather than any sort of server task (yes the 64 bits going to 'waste'
> and all) but the AMD64 is much quieter than a P4 for a fairly meaty
> desktop.

On the server side, my finding is that Opteron systems are blooming
loud.
I suppose I'm used to 1U systems, where you either have two centrifugal
blowers or two banks of fans blowing across the heatsinks.

I was just commenting that the big 128 node cluster at RAL sounds like a
jet engine.
That's just anecdotal - it would be fun to get a proper sound meter,
and do a Gflops/decibel rating on different processors!

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk