[Gllug] dual cpu mobo

Ben Fitzgerald ben_m_f at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Oct 14 13:56:05 UTC 2004

On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 02:34:26PM +0100, Richard Jones wrote:
> I'll also join in here.  At my last-but-one job the standard spec for
> web servers, database servers and so on was 2-way or 4-way SMP
> machines, and I can't recall having any problem at all related to
> Linux's SMP support.  The machines work as advertised and are
> generally 2* or 4* faster than UP, just as you'd expect.  We used a
> whole variety of cheap unbranded kit through to muchos $$$
> Dell-branded Poweredge quad Xeon servers with no problem at all.
>
> The utility for examining processor performance is 'top' (there are
> others too).

Many thanks to those who responded. I said I didn't want to get
bogged down in relative performance stats, though I'm glad to
hear that this isn't much of an issue.

The thread title +was+ "dual cpu mobo" until Mr Tim Clark got hold
of it and a new thread began. IIRC this has already been discussed
on this list!!! ;-)

Any mobo recommendations? Esp. if I can run lm_sensors on it.

ben
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk