[Gllug] OT: What can take out a switch *and* an ethernet card?

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Fri Oct 1 09:06:35 UTC 2004

On Thu 30 Sep, Ian Northeast wrote:

> Can anyone explain this? Also, can anyone recommend the best place
> nowadays to get another 16 port 10/100 (I have a number of 10Mb devices
> which matter, like my firewall and my printer) switch?
>
> Regards, Ian

   I have not checked, but I suspect that the ethernet is not isolated from
machine earth at either end, so could be affected by a floating earth
connection. Many small hubs are supplied with a cheap external power adapter
which is probably isolated, and only finds an earth as the mean of all its
interconnections, but you should check that your workstation is well-earthed
through its own mains cable. It may not be convenient, but it is a good idea
to keep all the technical bits connected to the same earth point and
unaffected by other more powerful equipment and inductive loads. The
majority of my kit is even fed through the same spike filter.

   If you are near North Acton, 3A Distribution Ltd sell standard "no-name"
switches

http://www.3adl.com

or you can mail-order through NetShop

http://www.NetShop.co.uk