[Gllug] British Library email archive

John Hearns john.hearns at clustervision.com
Mon Oct 18 09:31:49 UTC 2004

I just saw this on Slashdot

http://tinyurl.com/4cml7

I like the description of the Library keeping kit to read
eight inch floppies, paper tape and punched cards.
Chimes in with my posts to GLLUG in the past about electronic
archaeology.
And, sigh, yes I have used all of the above media in anger!

"All files will be duplicated on CD-ROMs and hard drives in case data
becomes corrupted."
Wouldn't it be better stored on paper tape for ultimate longevity?
I could conceive of cobbling together a paper tape reader for something
we dig out of the ruins of future St. Pancras.

anyone know if the project uses Linux?

But I thought anyway that the UKUSA Special Agreement was doing this
for us anyway?

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk