[Gllug] OT: What can take out a switch *and* an ethernet card?

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Fri Oct 1 20:52:49 UTC 2004

On Fri 01 Oct, Ian Northeast wrote:

> I don't think that's *too* likely. The switch has an integrated power
> suppply and is fed by a 3 pin kettle lead (although I havn't checked
> whether the earth lead is actually present). They're not on the same
> wall socket but they are in the same room, and there's nothing in the
> room *except* computers etc. The next room just has the telly and the

   I only heard a slight click from an aerial mounted just the other side of
a wall as a TV downstairs went up in smoke. It was raining, but there was no
obvious thunderstorm. My own aerial has a massive earth lead straight to
ground.

> Ian's suggestion seems more likely to me and the 8139 is headed to the
> bin. I had another one once, but I don't know where it's gone. I'll try

   It could be that an input died and applied volts back towards the output
connected to it.

> to track it down and I'll replace it if I find it. Working in the IT
> department of a large company which is chucking out PIIs and not even
> bothering to strip them of the good bits, Intel Pro 100s are easy to
> come by.

   Do you need transport?

> >    If you are near North Acton, 3A Distribution Ltd sell standard "no-name"
> > switches
> >
> > http://www.3adl.com

   3A do a variety of hardware, and some of the staff are interested in
Linux, so I may be able to persuade them to provide information about
Linux-friendly hardware.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk