[Gllug] Re: Problems keeping internet connection.

neil c neil at cozyspace.net
Sat Oct 23 12:55:49 UTC 2004

From:
Sharon Kimble <sharonm63 at tiscali.co.uk>

>I'm using a D-link DSL300T adsl ethernet modem and a Macronix MX987x5 network
>card and periodically I'm unable to get interent access. Its as if either the
>network card, or the modem, stop working. But if i reboot into MS Windows
>2000 then it all works perfectly again, and I can reboot [again] and log back
>into linux. My firewall is Firestarter 0.9.3, with one trusted host which is
>my modem.  Kernel is 2.6.8-1.521.
>
>I can, at the moment, at least log into the modem and check its connected and
>working seemingly okay. But when it drops the connection then I'm totally
>unable to gain access to it.
>
>Is it ...
>a) my modem dying,
>b) the network card playing up [I did find back on windows a tick box for it
>to stop it powering down but I can't find anything similar on linux [and I
>can't find it back on windows again either]].
>c) a problem with my firewall.
>d) tiscali playing silly b*****s
>e) something else!
>
>I do have another network card available to me [a realtek card] which I can
>put in, but as this problem first started manifesting itself whilst the
>realtek card was in the box, thats suspect too.
>
>Can anyone help me please sort out this problem, its driving me up the wall.
>
>Sharon.

I would check the routing table first. (route -n) Does your default
gateway look correct? Is it set to the correct NIC?

Make sure the D-Link is setting the host IP settings by DHCP - The
D-Link will pass the correct settings through to your NIC.

Do you need the Realtek interface up? disable it just to try and
localise the issue.

If you cat /etc/resolv.conf - do you get the correct DNS Nameservers?

Can you ping your ADSL Gateway?

Neil
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk