[Gllug] Re: Problems keeping internet connection.

Sharon Kimble sharonm63 at tiscali.co.uk
Sat Oct 23 13:33:40 UTC 2004

On Saturday 23 Oct 2004 13:55, neil c wrote:
> >I do have another network card available to me [a realtek card] which I
> > can put in, but as this problem first started manifesting itself whilst
> > the realtek card was in the box, thats suspect too.
> >
> >Can anyone help me please sort out this problem, its driving me up the
> > wall.
> >
> >Sharon.
>
> I would check the routing table first. (route -n) Does your default
> gateway look correct? Is it set to the correct NIC?

Yes, seems okay.

> Make sure the D-Link is setting the host IP settings by DHCP - The
> D-Link will pass the correct settings through to your NIC.

Yes, seems okay.

> Do you need the Realtek interface up? disable it just to try and
> localise the issue.

Actually the realtek card is =not= in the box [perhaps that wasn't clear in my
original email?], but is available to me as a 'spare'.

> If you cat /etc/resolv.conf - do you get the correct DNS Nameservers?

cat /etc/resolv.conf
; generated by /sbin/dhclient-script
nameserver 80.225.252.58

Which is rather interesting, because I'm currently running on 80.42.134.33.
So, what does the difference mean and how can I change it please, and then
change it automagically when I reboot?

> Can you ping your ADSL Gateway?

Sorry Neil, I haven't a clue as to how to ping it. I don't even know where it
is, is it the ethernet modem?

Sharon.
--
 14:28:10 up 1 day,  1:02,  2 users,  load average: 1.20, 1.19, 1.12
Linux is like a wigwam, no windows, no gates, apache inside.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk