[Gllug] Newbie needs help!

Ian Scott mriscott at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Oct 20 10:35:28 UTC 2004

> Hi Guys
>
> Digging around in my loft I found an old Compaq LTE Lite 4/25E (486)
> mono laptop, 12Mb ram and have managed to upgrade the hard drive to
> 800Mb. It has no built in CD Rom but does have a floppy drive and I have
> a parallel port CDR.
>

> My question is this, is there a distro available that will work with
> what I've got giving me access to WP and Spreadsheets?

I can recommend basiclinux (http://www.volny.cz/basiclinux/) for old hardware.

For your setup, I'd download the floppy version and give it a whirl.

You can then click through to the addons page
(http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/baslinux/add-ons/index.htm)
and download sc (simple spreadsheet)
and abiword (word processor).   Abiword will need splitting to go on
to floppys, or you could set up parallel port networking and copy it
across.

Abiword is a decent wp I believe. sc is however a very simple
spreadsheet.

I have used basiclinux on my 8mb mono lappy and found it pretty good.

Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk