[Gllug] [OT] CF card mp3 players?

Ian Norton ianort at essex.ac.uk
Fri Oct 15 13:36:22 UTC 2004

On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 04:05:30PM +0100, farnsaw at stonedoor.com wrote:
> I do believe that I stand corrected on this.  I didn't know that the CF
> format was based around IDE which explains why you can get microdrives
> for it.  Bluetooth is also available in SD/MMC format and I believe that
> WiFi is also available in SD/MMC format.

as far as i know, the interfaces for SD, SDIO and MMC are 100%
proprietry, open source drivers for this kind of hardware (if you want
to use SDIO mainly) have been made but have had to be hidden away due to
legal issues. (im talking about using these things in stuff like a
zaurus here)

In my experience SD cards can very greatly in quality from one card to
the next,

CF is cool :-) its quick, its cheap, and now, apparently it can give my
PDA more storeage than my laptop.

Also, as they are tiny, they are easier to loose :-)

Ian
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk