[Gllug] [OT] CF card mp3 players?

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Thu Oct 14 16:28:02 UTC 2004

<farnsaw at stonedoor.com> writes:

>>> 1) CF card format is older and will probably be phased out before SD
>>> so if you are starting new better to start with SD.
>
>>CF card format is based around PCMCIA IDE storage, this means you can
> plug it
>>into an IDE controller with a suitable connector. I reckon it will last
> longer
>>in the market place as all pro/semi-pro digital SLR cameras use CF, and
> also
>> the CF type II form factor has many more expansions like wireless lan
> and
>> bluetooth cards available to buy. Either way, by the time it becomes
> obsolete
>> I reckon that SD will also be obsolete so I don't think you are saving
> much
>> via trying to futureproof this way as the price/capacity will drop too
> quickly.
>
> I do believe that I stand corrected on this.  I didn't know that the CF
> format was based around IDE which explains why you can get microdrives
> for it.  Bluetooth is also available in SD/MMC format and I believe that
> WiFi is also available in SD/MMC format.

The CF <-> IDE adapters you can get from e.g. mini-itx shops or
DamnSmallLinux.org are like 2.5"-3.5" adapters - basically just a pin
conversion job.

*BUT* they don't seem to support DMA - reading a large CF card may be
faster using a USB 2.0 card reader.

cheers, Rich.

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk
www.shadow.org.uk/products/newhand.shtml