[Gllug] Strange Mac file

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Fri Oct 1 14:27:48 UTC 2004

On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 03:05:52PM +0100, SteveC wrote:
> Talking about Mac weenies...

Actually I'm a Mac weenie too (but see below).  I don't send round
files in weird formats though ...

> I've been using a white iBook for nearly three years with Linux
> (Gentoo). Been pretty happy with it and the times I've used MacOS I've
> been pretty frustrated in focus follows mouse, multiple desktops and the
> whole cut and paste thing.

There's a reasonably nice, free, virtual desktop implementation.  I
can't find the name of it right now however, because my Mac (iBook G4)
just died last week, and although it's in the warranty period, it's
been sent off to Apple and who knows when it will return.  I now know
what people mean about the Apple extended warranties being worth
getting.

> But I'm the recipient of a new powerbook and I thought I'd give macos a
> try once more. And its pretty sweet with expose hot corners, X11.app.
> All those things like ntp and ppp VPN's JustWork. I havn't wanted to
> kill it yet.

When I got my Mac I was pretty convinced that I'd soon be overwriting
it with Linux.  As it turned out, I kept 10.3 on there because it's
nice and simple to use and the inconveniences aren't too great.
Having said that I only really use it as a wireless web browser and
expensive X11/ssh terminal to my Debian boxen.

> I know a lot of people are carrying iBooks and powerbooks around these
> days at linux conferences, but not many of you run Linux... Thought it'd
> be nice to hear views now that macos has matured a bit.

It's definitely a computer I'd recommend to my mum.  Her current
computer - some sort of sub-Packard-Bell crap running Win98[1] - has
suffered extensive Windows-itis.  I have no real idea how to correct
it other than suggest doing reinstalls every 3 months, which is beyond
her technical capability anyway.  Macs are now far more robust (in
software, if not in hardware) and much more user friendly.

Rich.

[1] Bought against my explicit advice.

Perl4Caml lets you use any Perl library in your type-safe Objective
CAML programs. http://www.merjis.com/developers/perl4caml/