[Gllug] [OT]Reforming wayward web designers

Richard Turner richard at zygous.co.uk
Thu Oct 7 08:35:23 UTC 2004

The mention of law was a reference to Part III of the Disability
Discrimination Act, effective as of 01/10/2004, that deals with "Access to
Good, Facilities and Services".  This is A Good Thing (TM).  There are
already thousands of products aimed at older people and people with
disabilities that are perfectly adequate, unfortunately disabled living
equipment is a niche, and therefore expensive, market.  If suppliers
realised that they could make far more sales by dropping their prices - more
than enough to cover the reduction of profit on a single sale, disabled and
older people would far better-off in this and other 'developed' countries:
they could buy the equipment they need to allow them the freedoms that most
of us enjoy already.

All this is somewhat off the topic of this thread though; the point is that
the law doesn't attempt to stifle creativity ,it simply tries to ensure that
if your site offers a service that service is available to disabled people
too.  You can argue until you're blue in the face that it's a chore, but
it's easier for you to develop an accessible site than for someone who's
blind to use an inaccessible one and accessible sites are easier for
everyone to use too.  Besides, surely it's best to give your audience what
they want?

Richard.
--
"Racing turtles, the grapefruit is winning..."

Help is at hand: http://dlfwiki/

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk