[Gllug] Re: Problems keeping internet connection.

John Hearns john.hearns at clustervision.com
Mon Oct 25 08:42:11 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 09:18, Sharon Kimble wrote:
> On Monday 25 Oct 2004 08:05, John Hearns wrote:
> > On Sat, 2004-10-23 at 17:16, Chris Bell wrote:
> > > On Sat 23 Oct, Sharon Kimble wrote:
> >
> > I agree with Chris' earlier comments about signal quality.
> > My ADSL is on the edgeof an acceptable signal level.
> >
> > The way I got it to work was to us a normal splitter for the phone
> > at the BT master socket.
>
> Is the master socket the only, or main, or first socket on the line, or is it
> where the BT line first enters the house please?

The master socket is the main, or first, socket.
It should have a removeable faceplate - if you unscrew it,
there is a telephone-style plug inside.
Yoou should recognise it, as the white plastic faceplate has a
horizontal split.
This is the point where BT's responsibility ends.
That is, as far as I know, a BT engineer can disconnect the faceplate
and test the line using the internal socket, which goes direct to the
exchange.
This cuts out any of your house extension wiring.

The suggestion is to replace this faceplate with one from Solwise which
has a built-in

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk