[Gllug] SUSE 9.1 vs Fedora Core 2

Tethys tet at createservices.com
Wed Sep 22 09:01:21 UTC 2004

Pip writes:

>I'm basically just supporting the idea that the desktop installations
>- Fedora and SuSe were the ones in question - aren't really the best
>way to get a perfect server running.

You're starting from a flawed assumption -- that SuSE and Fedora are
aimed at the desktop. That's only true for SuSE Personal Edition, but
not for the Professional Edition, and not for Fedora. From the Fedora
projects objectives:

- Create a complete general-purpose operating system
- Form the basis of Red Hat's commercially supported operating system products.

A general purpose OS != desktop. It's also worth noting that RH don't
target the desktop with their commercially supported products...

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk