[Gllug] SUSE 9.1 vs Fedora Core 2

Pip gl.lug at ntlworld.com
Wed Sep 22 16:47:11 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 22 Sep 2004 10:01, Tethys wrote:

> You're starting from a flawed assumption -- that SuSE and Fedora are
> aimed at the desktop. That's only true for SuSE Personal Edition, but
> not for the Professional Edition, and not for Fedora.

My apologies for that, but the basics still hold in place: when you only want
a server, trim away whatever isn't serving.
It was no attack on any distro, just stating the principle. Unix isn't a
desktop item either, but it does come with lots that could be used on a
desktop, and is frequently built with that excess in it. Since with Linux you
can get the kernel as a separate item, is there something wrong with the idea
of starting from scratch so you know exactly what's in your server and why?
From my specific knowledge, there could be barely any difference between such
a thing and a well-crafted SuSE, Fedora or Debian installation, but it does
seem unlikely that they'd be the same.

> A general purpose OS != desktop. It's also worth noting that RH don't
> target the desktop with their commercially supported products...

From the same thought process, a general purpose OS != server.
Still, if you're happy with it, I've no problem with that.

Pip
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk