[Gllug] Oracle on Linux

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Thu Sep 16 07:53:13 UTC 2004

On Wed 15 Sep, Christopher Hunter wrote:

> On Wednesday 15 Sep 2004 2:10 pm, Davies Sue wrote:
>
> > Newham finally went M$, they were cut a very good deal I understand.
>
> They were!  The "software" was virtually given away.  M$ are doing much the
> same thing in the education sector too.
>
> M$ business practices (particularly in the public sector) seems remarkably
> similar in method to those employed by drug dealers.....
>
> Chris

   I have heard previous complaints (perhaps not valid in all cases) that
strings were attached which required all available future updates to be
purchased and installed on all boxes, with no guarantee of any price
concessions.
   Restrictions can also be placed on use, including connection to non-M$
facilities and equipment. Similar restrictions have been included in
previous contracts by well-known companies that regularly supply schools.
   Virus protection is purchased from other companies, so is probably not
part of the cheap deals.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk