[Gllug] Knoppix and similar

Wulf Forrester-Barker wulf.f-b at uhl.nhs.uk
Thu Sep 16 08:50:32 UTC 2004

Andrew <andrew-li at black1.org.uk> wrote:

> I want to run Linux on a machine currently with Windoze.  I
> don't (yet) want to remove windoze or work out which
> partitions are wipeable.  Hence I want to boot from a CD.
> I have an old version of Knoppix and was wondering if this
> is the way to go, or whether there are other similar version
> of Linux to look at. Do these versions have the ability to
> store settings on the HD of the machine?

There are loads of "Live-CD" distributions - for example, see:

Knoppix is a well developed example - another one which I've installed
to HD at home is Morphix (like Knoppix but allowing you to select
modules with different sets of applications, window managers, etc).

I'm not sure about storing data on the HD. I *think* so but the list
above will give you the option of further reading to make sure. As long
as you've got a reasonable amount of RAM, it won't hurt to try Knoppix
or similar although it depends whether you're at the "dipping a toe in
the water" or the "trying to do some serious work" stage - a non HD
install is probably better for the former (although I'm sure I stand to
be corrected ;-) ).

Wulf

--
Wulf Forrester-Barker, webmaster
http://www.lewisham.nhs.uk/

wulf.f-b at uhl.nhs.uk

DISCLAIMER:

Any opinions expressed in this email are those of the individual and
not necessarily the Trust. This email and any files transmitted with
it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual
or entity to whom they are addressed. Any unauthorised disclosure of
the information contained in this email is strictly prohibited.

The contents of this email may contain software viruses which could
damage your own computer system. Whilst we have taken every
reasonable precaution to minimise this risk, we cannot accept liability
for any damage which you sustain as a result of software viruses.
You should therefore carry out your own virus checks before opening
the attachment.

If you have received this email in error please notify the sender or
postmaster at uhl.nhs.uk. Please then delete this email.

University Hospital Lewisham
Tel: 020 8333 3000
Web: http://www.lewisham.nhs.uk/