[Gllug] Interrupt from power button?

Russell G. Howe rhowe at wiss.co.uk
Sun Sep 19 13:39:58 UTC 2004

On Sun, Sep 19, 2004 at 08:59:26AM +0100, John Winters wrote:
> One of the favourite ways to recover an XP workstation which has locked
> up is to hit the power button.  This seems to send some sort of signal
> to the OS causing it to shut down in an orderly fashion.

> Is there an entry I can make in /etc/inittab
> to have init detect this?

I would assume this is discovered through ACPI...

A quick google turns up the kind of thing you would need to know:

http://www.tldp.org/LDP/LGNET/current/pramode.html
http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au/linux-ia64/0201/2778.html

Plus, there is a thing called acpid - this can probably fire off various
scripts on ACPI events, such as buttons being pressed, laptop lids being
closed, etc...

http://csd.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de/~eagle/acpid.html

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk