[Gllug] Re: Upgrade to SuSe 9.1?

Andrew Scott andrew at aammscott.demon.co.uk
Sun Sep 19 20:56:09 UTC 2004

> > The second issue is what I would like to bring to you. I presently
have
> > mdk 9.1 on a single Maxtor 40GB drive, with separate partitions for
/,
> > /usr, /var, and /home. Unwisely, I made /usr a bit small [3.9G], but
> > guess changing the partition table and expecting to keep the data is
> > bit much, so I'll just have to live with it.
> no you don't. This is what parted was invented for. It can resize both
> partitions and their filesystems.
> > It's the stuff in /home I'd
> > like to keep, however making a suitable backup is a problem for me,
as I
> > have no CD writer, no second HDD, and no funds to acquire either.
> which partition contains the /home filesystem?
> >
> > The question I have is this: using the SuSe 9.1 installer [thanks,
> > Novell! ;)], can I do an in-place install on the /, /usr, and /var
> > partitions while keeping /home intact and inviolate? If so, how? My
> > suspicion is that this is possible and straightforward, however I'd
like
> > to hear it from you before pressing on.
> most graphical installers now offer something akin to an 'expert' mode
> which
> should allow you to specify which partitions are mounted where, and
> whether
> they should be 'formatted' or not. I believe Suse is no exception.

> HTH

> Stuart
> --
> Stuart Sears RHCE, RHCX

Stuart,

Thanks for the reply, and sorry for the munged formatting, but I take
the digest to preserve my sanity.

The /home partition contains the /home filesystem ;) Seriously, here is
the output of df for your edification:

/dev/hdc1              6047220    514172   5225864   9% /
/dev/hdc8             24599996   2306836  22293160  10% /home
/dev/hdc6              4031152   2819616   1006764  74% /usr
/dev/hdc7              4031152    385680   3440700  11% /var

I could probably move a few blocks from /home to /usr ;) Is parted a
Linux utility, or something DOS? Where can it be found?

As for choosing partitions to install on, I am aware of what you say
from experience with Mdk 9.1 and SuSe 8.0. Heck even RH 5.2's disk druid
had this feature ;) I'm looking for word from people with direct
experience of a SuSe 9.1 install while preserving /home.

Thanks again,

Andrew

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk