[Gllug] re: backups

adam at thebowery.co.uk adam at thebowery.co.uk
Sun Sep 5 09:05:59 UTC 2004

On Sun, Sep 05, 2004 at 09:27:33AM +0100, t.clarke wrote:

> What, realistically, is the safe life of a DVD-R disc?

Don't know, my backups that are over a year old are still readable using cheap
as chips media, they have been stored in a fireproof (and obviously lightproof)
safe though. As for the realistic life, only time will tell :)

> Am I correct in understanding that to write a DVD-R you need to first assemble
> the complete disc-image on a 'filesystem-file' on disc and then splat the whole

you can point growisofs (from the dvd+rw tools) at a directory and say "write
that to disc" or create the .iso image first.

> thing at the DVD in one fell swoop?  In which case, one small constraint on
> using DVDs would be the need to have spare hard-disc space.

I solved any problem like that by purchasing a 2nd big harddisk for my desktop,
120 Gigs of ide storage is under 50 quid now, so I always end up creating some
.isos before burning them to disk.

Adam
jabberid = quinophex at jabber.earth.li
AFFS || http://www.affs.org.uk/ || Not a filesystem