[Gllug] HIGHMEM

Andrew Halliwell ah at gnd.com
Thu Sep 16 11:52:19 UTC 2004

And verily, didst Luke Hopkins announce to the hordes:

> Following on from this:
> It would appear that I wasn't in fact booting the correct kernel (I
> know, I know). However that has led me to a new problem.
> Based on the standard raid.s kernel, I have made the single change of
> selecting the correct processor (instead of generic 486). A compile
> later, and I get a kernel panic (unable to mount root FS).
> Much googling has some suggestions, but no solutions.

You need an initrd or you need to compile some modules required to boot into
the kernel (as opposed to being modules).

I don't know how slack does mkinird, it tends to be one of the few
non-standard commands across distributions.

What's happening is, you compiled your kernel with modules for some things
that are required for booting, eg,raid driver, ext3, scsi, etc. If it can't
mount the filesystem to load the modules that enable it to mount the
filesystem... well, you get the idea.

initrd (initial ramdisk) loads a ramdisk containing modules and some other
stuff at the same time as the kernel using lilo or grub. This then insmods
these modules allowing the hardware to be accessed for the rest of the boot
process and beyond.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk