[Gllug] HIGHMEM

Russell Howe rhowe at wiss.co.uk
Thu Sep 16 11:12:10 UTC 2004

On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 09:15:31AM +0100, Luke Hopkins wrote:
> Following on from this:
> It would appear that I wasn't in fact booting the correct kernel (I
> know, I know). However that has led me to a new problem.
> Based on the standard raid.s kernel, I have made the single change of
> selecting the correct processor (instead of generic 486). A compile
> later, and I get a kernel panic (unable to mount root FS).

The obvious ones to check are that you didn't go module-crazy without an
initrd.

Assuming you aren't using one (I don't), then you'll need the following
things compiled into the actual kernel in order to mount your root
filesystem:

* Support for whatever filesystem it is (you made reference to ext3)
* Support for the block device the filesystem is running on (IDE
  controller? IDE disk support? SCSI{, disk, controller} support)

There are others, but the most common reason for this is that (say) you
have an ext3 filesystem for your /, but ext3 support is compiled as a
module (and stored on / - see the problem here? :)

You might also find that the kernel is selecting the wrong device as its
root filesystem (try passing root=/dev/hda1 if your / is the 1st
partition on your first IDE drive)

There are other reasons, but as I said, these are the most common
pitfalls

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk